5 Best Renovations to Sell a House
Here are five of the best renovations to sell a house. If you’re looking to get the highest sale price possible, consider these renovations.
This post is an excerpt from our popular ebook 12 Ways to Sell Your Home for More Money. It’s full of the best major and minor improvements that will increase the value of your house in a buyer’s eye. There’s even a section on small DIY projects that can increase your sale price.
1. Minor Bathroom Remodel
First on our list of the best renovations to sell a house is a minot bathroom reno. Major bathroom remodels are expensive, but for just a little cash, you can upgrade your bathroom at a significant return. Some things to consider include:
- Remove any wallpaper or other dated wall coverings and apply a fresh coat of paint. If walls are damaged, repair large areas and use a spray-on texture that will hide minor flaws.
- If your tub is worn or dingy, get it reglazed for about $400. Add new fixtures and it will look brand new.
- Remove old caulk and apply new.
- Replace old shower doors or remove them – it will make the room look larger. If you decide to remove the doors, do it before the tub is reglazed.
- Replace an old, worn-out vanity and fixtures. If your vanity is in good shape, consider replacing the counter and sink and replacing fixtures.
- Take a look at the floor. If it’s in bad shape, replace it.
2. Minor Kitchen Remodel
A minor kitchen remodel works when your kitchen needs cosmetic updates rather than a completely different floor plan. The cost here can vary widely depending on what your kitchen needs to look it’s best.
Take a look around and think about:
- Refacing cabinets and drawers or repainting the existing.
- Replacing old, worn-out appliances
- Adding recessed lights under the cabinets
- Replace countertops
- Replace an old vinyl floor
- Freshen your decorating by getting new curtains
3. Improve Your Exterior
Exterior improvements can seem daunting, but they provide great ROI and are one of the best renovations to sell a house. Stand across the street and look at your house and then consider:
- If your house is in good shape, give it a bath. Hose it down, clean the windows, remove cobwebs, etc.
- Replace worn and faded siding
- Repaint if necessary. If the entire house doesn’t need it, consider repainting your front door and shutters, if you have them.
- If you have plain, ordinary columns on your porch, consider wrapping them with something more decorative. Wraps come in different colors and styles.
- No columns at all? Give your porch a makeover by adding columns and decorative planters.
4. Big Bathroom Remodel
We’re back to bathrooms on the list of the five best renovations to sell a house. While a major bathroom remodel is expensive, you’ll get most of your money back when you sell.
You’ll be replacing virtually everything in the bathroom, and might mean enlarging or re-configuring the space. If you can reuse anything, like a vanity, give it a facelift by replacing the counter, sink, and fixtures.
If you have a small bathroom, ditch the vanity for a pedestal sink to add character, and save space.
5. Major Kitchen Remodel
Kitchen remodels can be pricey, but kitchens are important to buyers. A complete kitchen remodel means new cabinets, an island, countertops, stainless sink, wall oven, cooktop, flooring, and appliances.
A good budget for a major kitchen remodel is 10% to 15% of your home’s value. Don’t “go for the gold” here. You want your kitchen to blend in with the rest of your home, not make every other room look shabby.
- Kitchens seem bigger when there are fewer obstacles, so remove over-the-counter cabinets and create an eating bar if you can.
- An eat-in kitchen is a big plus, especially for families. Add a built-in table and benches and add a decorative touch with pillows.
- When painting, stick with neutral colors for walls and window treatments.
- Perk up a dark kitchen by adding a window, even if it’s only to the kitchen door.
If you want a more complete list of what you can do to get more profit from the sale of your home, including more of the best renovations to sell your house, download our free ebook 12 Ways to Sell Your Home for More Money.
If you’d like to a personal review of your home with specific ideas, book a free consultation with us. Remember, when you use our Property Concierge program, you don’t pay for your renovations until after we sell your home so you’re never out of pocket.